Tutorial – Import your recipes on a new device 39

You are changing your phone and want to import your recipes on it ?
First you have to backup your recipes on your old phone, and then import them on your new device. The easiest way is to use your dropbox account. You can find on that page how to configure My CookBook to connext your dropbox account : Synchronize/backup your recipes with Dropbox.

Here are some screenshots to help you backup and restore your recipes :

On your old device

menu

Open My CookBook and click on the “File Import / Export” button

backup_2

Click on the dropdown list in the action bar and select “dropbox”

backup_3

Click on the export button and select “Export recipes” if you want to backup your recipes. Click on “Export shopping lists” if you want to backup your shopping lists

backup_4

Select the recipes you want to backup (or check all)

And click on the “Export to” button.

backup_5

Choose the .mcb format (it will contain your images).

You can change the name of your backup file if you want.

And Click on “Export”

backup_6

The file is uploading on your dropbox account

On your new device

backup_7

Now you can open My CookBook on your new device and import your recipes

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

39 thoughts on “Tutorial – Import your recipes on a new device

Terri Grover

Just discovered app and it’s just I need to gather recipes. But now that I have a collection I want to be able to search it and find the recipe I want Hoe do I do this? Search only let’s me search online.

Carole

Most of my recipes are on Facebook. Whrn I transfer to dropbox most of the time all I get are the picture not the recipe!!
    Would you please advise me on how to “share” recipes from Facebook to My Cookbook? Thank you

android cookbook Post author

Hi Carole, Currently we don’t support imports from facebook… We need the html sources of recipes are well formatted so that we could extract easily the various information of recipes

android cookbook Post author

Have you tried to export again your recipes from your old device on your dropbox account ?

deja

How can I import my cookbook recipes to my pc. I have Windows 7 & Windows 8. Is there an app that I can download? It would be great to sync to pc.

android cookbook Post author

You can share your recipe with google cloud print to print it , or email it to your friend

android cookbook Post author

Hi Sherry,
      Sorry I am not sure to understand your issue. You can disconnect the app from Facebook in the settings

Fletch

I’ve just installed on an Amazon Kindle HD and can’t find the Mycookbook folder to copy my database to. I connected the Kindle to a laptop to open the folder but couldn’t find it. This has worked when I changed my phone. When installing on a kindle, when is the Mycookbook folder? Thanks

android cookbook Post author

It depends on the device. It may be /sdcard/MyCookBook/ or /mnt/sdcard/MyCookBook/ or /storage/sdcard0/MyCookBook/ or ….

lori

i clicked on the ‘add a new recipe’ then ‘save’. It is now saved under the ‘List of my recipes’.
    Now how do I get this in its right category under the ‘categories & sites’ in its proper place??

Also, once you create a category, how do you add a recipe in that category?

Deb J

It would be nice to have more categories than just main dishes and desserts and other. Perhaps there is a way to do that and I just don’t know it. Other than that I really like the app. Thanks

android cookbook Post author

@Deb You can customize your own categories. On the main screen, click on the categories button